Add a Splash Screen Section to the Handbook?

Gonzalo Nemmi gnemmi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 17:32:57 UTC 2008

On Thursday 20 November 2008 12:26:38 pm Manolis Kiagias wrote:
> Gabor PALI wrote:
> > Dear members,
> >

> > A few days ago we received a generous contribution from Joseph J.
> > Barbish on using splash screens in FreeBSD [1].  Initially, it started
> > as a fix for the FAQ, but after I suggested Joe to insert the
> > descriptive part of his work into the Handbook, he offered an entire
> > section for referencing from the FAQ.
> >
> > He recommended to put this section into Chapter 3 ("UNIX Basics"), but I
> > would like to receive some comments on this before I start to integrate
> > it into that chapter.  (Do you think it is needed, if yes, it is a good
> > place for that and so on.)  Of course, after it has been moved to the
> > Handbook, it would shorten the corresponding FAQ entry to contain only
> > the necessary references and to avoid unnecessary duplication of the
> > content.
> >

> > Thank you for your comments in advance.
> >

> > Cheers,
> >
> > :g
> >
> > [1]
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-doc/2008-November/014989.html
>
> I followed the discussion and I think this is useful info that should be
> part of the documentation. The submitted text looks ok more or less (and
> I am quite sure you will it touch it up anyway ;) ). I am more concerned
> about the placement of this info though.
> Supposedly the first part of the Handbook is more or less introductory
> and designed to teach fundamental UNIX concepts. Granted, this rule is
> violated a few times, some parts are way more advanced and refer to
> later sections. However I believe we should keep chapter 3 focused on
> exactly the title: UNIX basics. Imagine yourself being a beginner and
> trying to find some useful info on basic UNIX commands. Would you rather
> find the discussion of a splash screen useful? I doubt it. What's more,
> you would not be able to fully understand what is going on.
> There is another possible section for this info: Chapter 12 (boot). If
> you come to think about it, the splash screen is more related to booting
> than actual system operation (the "basics"). In fact there is a section
> on loader.conf in chapter 12 and I think this info could be adjusted to
> fit the chapter nicely.

First: Thanks Joseph and Gabor for your work.

Now, and for what is worth, I've been following the thread too and

1) Yes .. I think it's Joseph's work should be available on the Handbook.

2) I agree with Manolis for the same reasons he exposed. Even if Chapter 3 is
a good enough place to insert this info, Chapter 12 seems to be an even
better one.

> There are could also be other places, but this is the only that comes to
> mind at the moment. One could also argue we need something of a "Misc
> settings" chapter, where all this useful but maybe hard to categorize
> stuff would go. But then again, this maybe the role of the FAQ.
>
> By the way, the above is just a suggestion, if the general consensus is
> to merge it into the Basics chapter, I won't object :)
>
> manolis@

Once again, thank you Joseph and Gabor for your work .. and just in case, a
friend and I have fooled around with splash screen and boot splash a not so
long time ago .. in case you are interested (discussion is in spanish but C
code is not =P ):

http://www.penguinpower.com.ar/foro/viewtopic.php?t=2494
http://www.penguinpower.com.ar/foro/viewtopic.php?t=2493

Regards