Add a Splash Screen Section to the Handbook?

Gabor PALI pgj at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 20 16:46:41 UTC 2008

Manolis Kiagias wrote:
> I followed the discussion and I think this is useful info that should
>  be part of the documentation.

Thanks for the support.

> The submitted text looks ok more or less (and I am quite sure you
> will it touch it up anyway ;) ).

Yep, it is very probable :)

> I am more concerned about the placement of this info though.

Initially, I had the very same concern about this contribution, but when
I looked through Chapter 3, I found a lot of FreeBSD-specific
information in it.

> Supposedly the first part of the Handbook is more or less
> introductory and designed to teach fundamental UNIX concepts. [..]

But I have to agree with you.

> Would you rather find the discussion of a splash screen useful? I
> doubt it. What's more, you would not be able to fully understand what
> is going on. There is another possible section for this info: Chapter
> 12 (boot).

Hm, I think it is a great idea!  What do you think of appending it to
section ``12.3 The Boot Manager and Boot Stages'' (as a sub-section)?

> There are could also be other places, but this is the only that comes
>  to mind at the moment. One could also argue we need something of a
> "Misc settings" chapter, where all this useful but maybe hard to
> categorize stuff would go. But then again, this maybe the role of the
>  FAQ.

I recommended to not to include the entire text in the FAQ itself for
Joe because I think the FAQ should be "compact and quick".  Joe wrote a
complete and precise description on the topic, so it should be placed in
the Handbook and referenced (only) from the FAQ.

I am trying to defer the introduction of a potential "Misc Settings"
chapter until we really encounter things that do not fit in the actual
contents or outgrew their limits.

> By the way, the above is just a suggestion, if the general consensus
> is to merge it into the Basics chapter, I won't object :)

At the moment, I would prefer to inject it into Section 12.3.  If there
is no explicit objection in the next few days, I will try start to work
on its SGML version and send a patch to the list for review.

Comments are still welcome.

Cheers,
:g