Downloading packages

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Wed May 28 05:44:39 UTC 2008

Oren Almog wrote:
> I've been looking at
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/packages-using.html
> and it is stated there and given as an example that if you want to
> change the default download site of packages for your version, you
> need to change the PACKAGESITE variable to
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5.4-release/Latest/
> (5.4 is given as an example). Isn't it supposed to /ALL instead of
> /Latest ?
>
> I am a FreeBSD beginner so I there a chance that I am doing things
> wrong, I am just trying to make sure.
>
> Oren

The information in the handbook is correct. The /Latest directory simply
contains links to the latest versions of the packages in the /All
directory. In this way you don't need to know and specify the exact
version of the package you want to install. For example, with
PACKAGESITE set to /Latest, you could do something like:

pkg_add -r xorg

and you would get the latest version of Xorg server. With PACKAGESITE
set to All, you should do something like:

pkg_add -r xorg-7.3_1

but you would need to look the exact package name beforehand (e.g. by
using Firefox or an ftp program to visit the ftp site).

Please note these type of questions are better answered in the
freebsd-questions list, which is the primary technical support list. You
may wish to use it for any further queries.