Need an environment for dynamic web content for freebsd.org

Vadim Goncharov vadim_nuclight at mail.ru
Thu Mar 20 10:16:45 UTC 2008

Hi Marc Silver!

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 10:59:02 +0200; Marc Silver wrote about 'Re: Need an environment for dynamic web content for freebsd.org':

> While I agree that PHP isn't perfect, it is still possible to write secure,
> fast and scalable code with it.

Yes, but it will cost you a lot more and even then you will not be secure due
to all those constantly discovered in each new version flaws in the PHP
interpreter itself.

> It's just as easy for a bad programmer to
> write bad perl code as it is for them to write bad PHP code.

Yes, but there more bad PHP programmers than Perl programmers :)

> The one thing I don't like about Perl is that there is too much of a
> reliance on third party modules for just about everything.

This is normal way for every programming language. Do you complain C or Java
that you have so many third-party libraries instead of all being inside libc,
eh?

> At least PHP has
> (most) of what you need built in.  Bottom line is that there are pros and
> cons to just about every language out there.

Yes, but there are statistics.

> That said, I'm quite fond of python/pylons/django so I don't mind what
> happens, but it's not really fair to write off PHP just because so many
> developers who use it are rubbish.

This is not the only reason, of course - I've given a link to PHP disadvantages
summary in message to Murray.

--
WBR, Vadim Goncharov. ICQ#166852181       mailto:vadim_nuclight at mail.ru
[Moderator of RU.ANTI-ECOLOGY][FreeBSD][http://antigreen.org][LJ:/nuclight]