Need an environment for dynamic web content for freebsd.org

Vadim Goncharov vadim_nuclight at mail.ru
Wed Mar 19 08:21:20 UTC 2008

Hi Murray Stokely!

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 08:12:45 -0700; Murray Stokely wrote about 'Re: Need an environment for dynamic web content for freebsd.org':

>> No. Not PHP. Ever. Forget.
>>
>>  It should at least cgi or, as aforemetioned, a wiki-like page. There can be
>>  already some wiki engines which allow voting.
> I've not seen any useful voting mechanism implemented on a wiki.
> Pointers?  CGI is exactly the kind of 15 year old stagnant web
> technology we are trying to get away from. We need quick templating,
> sessions, high level UI libraries, etc..

Yes.

> All of which things like PHP, Python/Django, etc.. provide.

They all provide, except PHP :) Every serious PHP project is reinventing
template system, database abastraction layers

>       - Murray (who doesn't know/use PHP, but knows that the freebsd
> web presence is notably missing something like it)

Anything but PHP. Don't choose that buggy, slow, immanently insecure
technology. Please.

P.S. You can see http://tnx.nl/php for a short summary of PHP drawbacks. Even
Perl is much better.

--