Logical mistake in the chapter 2.6 Allocating Disk Space

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jul 31 23:12:44 UTC 2008

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 23:32:45 +0400
"Oleg Fedjakin" <oleg.a.fedjakin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!

Hi,

> Lately I consult newbie about slices and partitions in FreeBSD. In the
> "An Illustration from the Files of Bill and Fred's Exceptional
> Adventures" we read that "When Bill re-ordered the SCSI BIOS so that
> he could boot from SCSI unit four, he was only fooling himself.
> FreeBSD was still running on SCSI unit zero". But early we read:
> "older (zero) SCSI drive is reporting numerous soft errors".
>
> Question: if FreeBSD boot from errored SCSI and works with it, why OS
> works safely? This drive is unstable. Therefore nothing change. Or
> not?

My thought here is that the original writer of this story meant
to give an example on how switching drives doesn't really work
the way people intend.  Not to explain the obvious requirement
for someone to replace their disk drive.

--
Tom Rhodes