INCOMPLETE or INCORRECT procedure posted in the FreeBSD Handbook

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 06:11:08 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr at gmail.com> wrote:
> email wrote:
>>
>> Manolis Kiagias wrote:

>>> I will try it on a test system later today, and if necessary I will
>>> create a patch for the handbook section. Thanks.
>>
>> I installed 6.3_RELEASE (ALL doc's, src, binaries EVERY-thing) from an
>> i386 iso thereafter using pkg_add -r to install kde3.5.8 and gnome2.20.1.
>>  Nothing exotic was done/installed.   <-- That's what I mean when I say a
>> clean install.  I hope this helps.
>>
> All right - I am doing an installation from ports (default options) and will
> post results as soon as available. It will take some time.
>
> P.S. I've  put the doc@ list back on this

Having compiled xorg and KDE from ports, I am unable to recreate your problem.
After modifying the line in /etc/ttys and kill -HUP 1, I get KDM and
after login (without changing anything else from KDM Menu) I get a
fully functional KDE desktop. Are you sure you haven't missed anything
else in your process? In particular (although not strictly necessary),
have you created an xorg.conf per Handbook's instructions?