INCOMPLETE or INCORRECT procedure posted in the FreeBSD Handbook

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 13:06:53 UTC 2008

email wrote:
> 5.7.3.1 The KDE Display Manager
>
> Following the above causes problems.  Please update or omit that
> passage because it doesn't work as intended.  Try it yourself on a
> clean system and I think you'll agree.  If the above FreeBSD Handbook
> section has been corrected since 07/28/2008 07:31EDT. then please
> disregard this.

Are you sure about this? What kind of "problems"? I haven't used KDE in
a while, but starting kdm from /etc/ttys has always been the standard
method. In fact, you can start other login managers (i.e. slim) from
there. If anyone else has compiled KDE recently, please report if kdm
works as described.