docs/120040: handbook: diskless operation: populate root doesn't populate

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 27 13:30:03 UTC 2008

The following reply was made to PR docs/120040; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Rhodes <trhodes at FreeBSD.org>
To: Marius Nuennerich <marius.nuennerich at gmx.net>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/120040: handbook: diskless operation: populate root
 doesn't populate
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 07:58:55 -0500

 On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 12:26:36 GMT
 Marius Nuennerich <marius.nuennerich at gmx.net> wrote:

 > >Number:         120040
 > >Category:       docs
 > >Synopsis:       handbook: diskless operation: populate root doesn't populate
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       non-critical
 > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/network-diskless.html
 > Chapter 29.7.2.7.1 as of cvs revision 1.404 states that one should
 > populate the new root with make buildworld && make buildkernel, but
 > afaik these targets do not populate DESTDIR.
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 >
 > >Fix:
 > It should be changed back to make world && make kernel (rev. 1.380) or
 > make buildworld buildkernel installworld installkernel maybe works too.

 On my system, a make world doesn't work (see Makefile) and
 I used DESTDIR to populate.  In fact, this is how I did the
 actual population and build in my PXE environment at work:

 /bin/sh
 export DESTDIR=/home/pxe/system
 mkdir $DESTDIR
 cd /usr/src
 echo "options BOOTP" >> sys/i386/conf/GENERIC
 echo "options BOOTP_NFSROOT" >> sys/i386/conf/GENERIC
 make buildworld
 make kernel
 make installworld
 make distribution
 cp sys/i386/conf/GENERIC.hints /home/pxe/system/boot/device.hints
 cp /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/pxeldr/pxeboot /tftpboot

 In fact, looking over my records, I could probably re-write
 that entire section based on my notes from around six
 months ago.  :)

 --
 Tom Rhodes