docs/82290: [patch] update to handbook firewall PF section

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 21 19:26:17 UTC 2008

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 20:09:36 +0100
peter at bsdly.net (Peter N. M. Hansteen) wrote:

> Tom Rhodes <trhodes at FreeBSD.org> writes:
>
> > So we probably don't need the mini-tutorial except to discuss
> > the differences in FreeBSD compared to OpenBSD - which I believe
> > are minimal;
>
> Just what differences there are depends on the FreeBSD release, as
> long as we have 6.n with 3.7ish PF an 7.n with 4.1-equivalent PF there
> will be a need for some fine distinctions.  Or we could make a
> decision to just ignore the older releases (pre-7) like I mostly did
> for the book.

What I normally do is cover the latest releases on both the
development and stable branches.  In most cases, I'll cover the
entire stable release and make notes where differences will be
noticed by the user - especially things like new options, syntax
changes, etc.

> > however, I like the section on pftools.  Is it possible to merge
> > that part after a cleanup for FDP conformance?
>
> I should thinks so.  I'll need to refresh my FreeBSD conventions
> neurons to do so, but I imagine that's doable.  Plus of course the
> need for some updates will have crept in here and there by now.
>
> Come to think of it with my likely time frame for giving this serious
> attention, the 7 vs other releases issue could have resolved itself
> already, but I'll try to make time for this as soon as possible.

How about we break this up into a few smaller parts to make review
a bit easier.  Starting mainly with the pftools section, as that
appears to be very useful.  The rest of it we can kick around a
few ideas about what to cover, what not to cover, etc.  Sound
good?  Thanks,

--
Tom Rhodes