docs/120566: ifconfig(8) doesn't recognize 'inet' command when setting up wireless card

Remko Lodder remko at elvandar.org
Thu Feb 14 07:05:51 UTC 2008

On Wed, February 13, 2008 10:00 pm, Volker wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR docs/120566; it has been noted by
> GNATS.
>
> From: Volker <volker at vwsoft.com>
> To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, yuri at tsoft.com
> Subject: Re: docs/120566: ifconfig(8) doesn't recognize 'inet' command
> when
>  setting up wireless card
> Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:56:11 +0100
>
>  > vwe points out that this is more likely a documentation bug.
>
>  To clarify this:
>
>  > ifconfig ral0 ssid freebsdap wepmode on weptxkey 3 \
>  >  wepkey 3:0x3456789012 mode 11g mediaopt hostap \
>  >  inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
>  > ifconfig: inet: bad value
>
>  -> this fails but:
>
>  ifconfig [ifname] [af] [a.dd.re.ss] (wlan settings here)
>
>  works well:

Ah indeed! it had been clearly documented. Somehow Yuri seemed to have
missed that. For what it's worth, I am not sure on how to approach this,
it's clearly documented properly and I think there should be a clearly
defined basis on how to specify things for ifconfig.

There will always be situations like : I want to do this, in a different
order, but that isn't supported, make it happen. Which imo is not always a
good idea to do, instead following a pre-defined and -documented- way
could and should always work.

I can live with this being send as a request to net at FreeBSD.org first and
finish off the PR till there is a wide support for changing the behaviour.
As I see it, it isn't a bug (it's documented!).

//Remko

--
/"\   Best regards,                      | remko at FreeBSD.org
\ /   Remko Lodder                       | remko at EFnet