docs/122052: minor update on handbook section 20.7.1

Federico Galvez-Durand Besnard federico.besnard at del.ufrj.br
Sun Dec 28 09:10:05 UTC 2008

The following reply was made to PR docs/122052; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Federico Galvez-Durand Besnard <federico.besnard at del.ufrj.br>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Cc: trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/122052: minor update on handbook section 20.7.1
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 09:41:46 +0100

 Hi Tom,

 Greg Lehey work writing VINUM is outstanding.
 However, the manual does not match the quality of the source code.

 Some highlights:
 1) The definition of RAID-10 given in 21.6.4 is wrong.
 It actually describes RAID-01.
 I added RAID-10, for the sake of completeness.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nested_RAID_levels

 2) VINUM was originally written for Release 4.x, the manual needed
 updates to accommodate most recent Releases and GEOM framework.
 Same stands for man pages.
 This patch separates clearly 4.x from > 5.x. Also, all misleading
 embedded-guidances have been treated.

 3) This patch improves the whole section text and figures.

 4) Examples have been also improved. Configuration files and <gvinum
 list> output are shown.

 I will appreciate any feedback if there is a committer, familiar with
 VINUM, available for reading (and compare to the actual version) the
 proposed update (shown in this link for the sake of simplicity and for
 few fellows who requested it):
 http://www.del.ufrj.br/~federico.besnard/FreeBSD/apocrypha/handbook/vinum-vinum.html

 I will work on the SGML version only if this patch makes sense to
 someone with power for committing the patch.
 I have seen recent developers' activity on the GEOM side, it might be
 the case of not having a need for VINUM any longer. So this work on the
 handbook is not only low priority but useless.
 I am not sure, I am not writing code for GEOM nor tracking all activity
 there.

 Please advise.