A question about update(I think it should be added to our faq).

Gabor PALI pgj at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 25 10:34:56 UTC 2008

Dear Li and Matthew,

>> The question is:
>>
>> If I update system from release_6.1 to release_7.0, whether I should
>> re-compile every ports use the "portupgrade -af" command.
>>
>> Somebody told me "yes", "no" or "recommendatory", but they have not give
>> me any explanation, so I am confused about it.
>
> Something like this as an answer to the FAQ?
I volunteer to review your recommended procedure and create a patch for
you.  I think an exhaustive explanation should be added to the Handbook
(to chapter "Updating and Upgrading FreeBSD"), and referenced only from
the FAQ (in a short answer).  Thank you for discussing this! :)

Cheers,
:g