Cutting edge -> Upgrading

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Fri Dec 19 03:03:14 UTC 2008

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 21:07:34 +0200
Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Tom Rhodes wrote:
> > Hi Murray, Manolis,
> >

> > On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:35:51 -0800

> >> Yea I think this sounds good.  Tom, can you include a link to the HTML
> >> with your next diff -- I find it easier to review big reorganizations
> >> in the built html form rather than the diffs.
> >>
> >> If there is really just too much content for one chapter then maybe
> >> the updating and upgrading chapter could still be split into two
> >> adjacent chapters -- one for the basics of updrading between releases
> >> with mergemaster and such, and a second with more complicated source
> >> upgrades to -CURRENT.
> >>
> >>           - Murray
> >>

> > Apologies for this tardy reply, but I've recently come down
> > with some kind of a bug.  Anyway, this is what I have right now:
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~trhodes/doc/latest-handbook.diff
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~trhodes/doc/handbook/
> >
> > The diff contains my Updating chapter placed above the current
> > cutting-edge content along with some alterations to make the
> > documentation flow a bit.  Surely another update or two will
> > be needed to perfect this version, but I think it looks pretty
> > decent as it is now.
> >

> Thanks Tom, this is more or less what I had in mind for the
> updating-upgrading chapter :)
> Having read the synopsis, I feel we need to change it a bit so it
> matches more closely the updated content.
> Something like this:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~manolis/updating-upgrading.html#UPDATING-UPGRADING-SYNOPSIS
>
> and the patch:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~manolis/cutting-edge.txt
>
> Basically this rephrases the original <para> a bit, and also reorders
> the itemized list to more or less match the order the info is presented
> in the chapter. Feel free to change it as you see fit ;)

This version of the patch has been applied to my try, and
integrated with the latest changes done by Murray today.

The latest patch and build handbook version is up here:

http://people.FreeBSD.org/~trhodes/doc

Please let me know how you feel about it.  Other than the
directory name issue (cutting edge v. updating-upgrading), I
think it's pretty nice.  We should consider moving forward
should no one object.  Thanks,

--
Tom Rhodes