Preface need update.

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 15 18:49:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 06:28:58 -0500
Tom Rhodes <trhodes at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 18:32:07 -0800
> "Murray Stokely" <murray at stokely.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Tom Rhodes <trhodes at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > > Thanks for that!  I definitely slacked here, but I'll keep this
> > > in mind for the future.  About the updating chapter, I am unable
> > > to find any information on portsnap in my printed copy of the
> > > Handbook (third edition).  They could have existed (I see a
> > > 2006 commit date for freebsd-update in src) but seem to have
> > > not been documented in the handbook.
> >
> > Ahh, I see, nothing was moved over from the Cutting Edge chapter.
> >
> > This chapter has just about the exact same purpose as the new Updating
> > chapter, they just describe different tools.  The first chapter
> > Updating, even references the latter chapter (Cutting Edge) as a
> > pre-requisite in the synopsis by saying one needs to read it to learn
> > about Mergemaster.
> >
> > There should only be one updating chapter.  Cutting Edge was there
> > first, but updating is maybe a better name.
> >
> > How do you feel about merging them back into one chapter?
> >
> > > Anyway, how does this patch look to you?:
> >
> > Everything else looks good, except I don't like that we now have two
> > chapters for updating instead of one.  I wasn't paying attention when
> > that happened. =)  Maybe just submit the new item for auditing while
> > we sort out what to do about updating?
> >
> >         - Murray
> >

> Works for me.  Let me work over a patch today (I should have
> enough time) and get it out.  :)

This patch merges both chapters in a way I thought worked out
best.  Could probably use a bit of text in the intro but I'm
not 100% sure.

http://people.freebsd.org/~trhodes/patches/cutting-edge.diff

Though I do remember why I started another chapter though,
primarily because cutting-edge came off to me as "using CURRENT
and/or test versions" rather than stable with bug fixes.  :)

Thanks,

--
Tom Rhodes