[Sort of RFC] Ports and packages for docs

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Fri Dec 5 01:14:04 UTC 2008

Gábor Kövesdán <gabor at freebsd.org> wrote
  in <493870A9.6050604 at FreeBSD.org>:

ga> Marc Fonvieille escribió:
ga> > These packages provide html-split version (of course other formats are
ga> > possible, I just want to limit the bandwidth) of the 20081130 docset.
ga> > Another thing to note, the packages install docs in
ga> > /usr/local/share/doc/freebsd
ga> >
ga> Maybe you could also add an option (like OVERWRITE_BASE or something
ga> like that) to install them to the usual /usr/share/doc location. In
ga> this way, we could avoid duplication between the base and the ports
ga> version and keep using the path we got used to. It is not very smart
ga> to install things outside from /usr/local, but I think it can be
ga> useful in some cases and this particular is such one. A couple of
ga> other ports also do this (like BIND, OpenSSH, etc.).

 You have a point, but I prefer eliminating our documentation set from
 /usr/share/doc and make the doc set can be installed from the
 pre-compiled packages, not tarball which uses /usr/share/doc, like
 Xorg to avoid such duplication in the future releases.