docs/119907: Ports compatibility

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 5 16:00:10 UTC 2008

The following reply was made to PR docs/119907; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Rhodes <trhodes at FreeBSD.org>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Cc: p2nd8vp02 at sneakemail.com
Subject: Re: docs/119907: Ports compatibility
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 11:50:52 -0400

 Hi,

 > By the description alone, it doesn't describe that it supports -RELEASE or -RELEASE-p# systems.

 The problem is that using "-RELEASE" and/or "-RELEASE-pN" systems
 is that it makes the support coverage too broad.  Where I work
 we have a few 4.11 RELEASE systems and one 4.4 RELEASE system
 but the ports collection doesn't support the latter.  In fact,
 to make a later version work, I had to patch several base
 utilities to get certain software installed.

 The -CURRENT and -STABLE is pretty good for right now.  If
 you can come up with something that covers the possibility
 of several releases then please do.  :)

 Thanks,

 --
 Tom Rhodes