mfsroot options are undocumented

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon Apr 28 19:30:55 UTC 2008

On Saturday 26 April 2008 04:25:16 am David Naylor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently I have been trying a few different approaches of building live CD's
> with FreeBSD (something that is surprisingly easy, especially compared to
> other systems).  Something of interest is mounting from a memory filesystem.
>
> The problem is the loader.conf commands appear to be undocumented, from what
> can gather they are:
> mfsroot_load="YES"
> mfsroot_type="mfs_root"
> mfsroot_name="/boot/mfsroot"

You could also do:

foo_load="YES"
foo_type="mfs_root"
foo_name="/boot/mfsroot"

The loader looks for anything that matches *_load and tries to load it.  By
default it assumes an empty type and that the filename matches the '*',
so "foo_load=YES" makes the loader do 'load foo'.  The *_type and *_name can
override the type and name so that the two variable sets above both
correspond to 'load -t mfs_root /boot/mfsroot'.  The point is that there is
nothing magical about "mfsroot" in "mfsroot_load".  I'm not sure if the
*_load stuff is documented completely, but that is how you would document
this.

--
John Baldwin