Proper Sort Order in mirrors.xml for Non-English Alphabets [Solved]

Gabor PALI pgj at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 24 20:22:22 UTC 2008

Hello again,

> I started to translate the components required by the dynamically
> generated mirrors.xml in share/sgml (i.e. transtable.xml,
> transtable-local.xsl, mirrors-local.xsl), but I found that the sort
> order (attribute "sortkey") generated for countries is not correct in
> the sense of Hungarian spelling (ISO-8859-2), because it moves the words
> starting with national characters (like É) to the end of the list. For
> example, É should follow E in my tongue.

I found the solution. It was my fault, sorry for the noise.

The problem was: doc Makefiles (doc.xml.mk) use the
<command>sort</command> to keep things sorted when generating
mirrors.xml and it only will work correctly if the proper (language)
encoding is set. It is derived from the name of parent of share/sgml (as
a langcode). I checked out the files to build from a p4 depot and I had
share/sgml in a directory named "docproj_hu" (and it is not a langcode :)).

I renamed it to "hu_HU.ISO8859-2" and it worked perfectly.

Sorry,
-pgj