docs/122470: [patch] exit status on fetch(1) manual page

Ben Kaduk minimarmot at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 02:50:04 UTC 2008

The following reply was made to PR docs/122470; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Ben Kaduk" <minimarmot at gmail.com>
To: "Jaakko Heinonen" <jh at saunalahti.fi>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: docs/122470: [patch] exit status on fetch(1) manual page
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 22:24:12 -0400

 Hello,

 On 4/5/08, Jaakko Heinonen <jh at saunalahti.fi> wrote:
 [snip]
 >  fetch(1) manual page states that fetch(1) exits with status zero or one:
 >
 >  EXIT STATUS
 >      The fetch command returns zero on success, or one on failure.  If multi-
 >      ple URLs are listed on the command line, fetch will attempt to retrieve
 >      each one of them in turn, and will return zero only if they were all suc-
 >      cessfully retrieved.
 >
 >  However it's possible that it exits with status other than zero or one:
 >
 >  $ fetch -h foo
 >  usage: fetch [-146AFMPRUadlmnpqrsv] [-N netrc] [-o outputfile]
 >              [-S bytes] [-B bytes] [-T seconds] [-w seconds]
 >              [-h host -f file [-c dir] | URL ...]
 >  $ echo $?
 >  64

 It seems that fetch(1) can also return EX_USAGE when it is not
 invoked as it is expecting; this macro is defined to be 64 in
 /usr/include/sysexits.h

 We might as well change the man page to say ``EX_USAGE
 is returned when .Nm is not invoked properly.''

 -Ben Kaduk