docs/122359: times (3) returns system uptime, not epoch time

Viktor Štujber theultramage at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 22:10:05 UTC 2008

>Number:         122359
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       times (3) returns system uptime, not epoch time
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD poring.netvor.sk 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Tue Apr  1 15:52:35          CEST 2008     root at poring.netvor.sk:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PORING  i386

The freebsd manpages for 'clock_t times(struct tms *tp)' say the following:

   The times() function returns the value of time in CLK_TCK's of a second since 0 hours, 0 minutes, 0 seconds, January 1, 1970, Coordinated Universal Time.

But after letting a sample C program print the returned value, it matches the system's uptime (in clock ticks). I would like to ask the bsd devs to clarify whether this is a documentation problem, or an implementation problem.