localized man pages

Alex Dupre ale at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 30 09:05:09 UTC 2007

Gabor Kovesdan wrote:
> Well, I think it might apply to all kind of docs. As I see, the Spanish,
> Russian, Japanese and Italian documentation set is also pretty outdated.

No, it's different. I read the general documentation to have an
overview, I read the man pages to know exactly what does the X flag.
Outdated documentation is not an issue like an outdated man page. Man
pages are and need to be very specific. Wrong (or incomplete) specific
information is very bad. Not having the GELI section in the translated
handbook is a completely different case.

Hiroki Sato wrote:
> Right.  I think it is no problem with adding localized manual pages
> but before that it needs toolchain which supports various languages
> in a consistent way as well as some framework for informing that
> "this is out-of-date" to the users in some way.

Yes, this is the only solution. An automated way to display on top of
the translated man page that's outdated, and a simple way to display the
english one (or vice-versa).

--
Alex Dupre