docs/118106: cdecord from systools/cdrtools should be recommended toburn CDs with all cd-writers, not only SCSI ones

Remko Lodder remko at elvandar.org
Sat Nov 24 10:52:31 UTC 2007

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 11:30:03PM +0000, Yuri wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR docs/118106; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com>
> To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
> Cc: yuri at tsoft.com
> Subject: Re: docs/118106: cdecord from systools/cdrtools should be recommended toburn CDs with all cd-writers, not only SCSI ones
> Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 15:27:18 -0800
>
>  Remco,

Yuri,

>  My rationale was that it will probably take a long time to fix burncd. Such PRs
>  are closed very slowly.

That might be your opinion indeed, if it takes too long for you, please feel free
to submit patches or help us getting those improvements in, then but only then it
can speed up, please keep in mind that we are all volunteers and that we also have
different things to do beyond looking into bug reports all day ("sad but true")

>  And there is a working utility that can be used by users.
>
>  So if new users will try following handbook they will fail for sure. Why not
>  have cdrecord recommended to users so that they aren't exposed to bugs? And
>  still fix burncd when possible.

You are incorrect; they will not fail for surei some combinations might not
work properly, and people that face those issues are invited to report their
problems. Nobody is helped when we push an alternative package that is known
by most people already (as a matter of fact it's already mentioned on the page
so I think that people will have a look nevertheless for alternative packages
if they want a quick fix, I really dont see a reason to push that even more
in the handbook, while we want to drive a different road).

>  OS should just work out of the box. Like Apple OS pretty much just works w/out
>  exposing users to any major problems. FreeBSD should be the same.
>
>  Yuri

OS should work as best as possible, we try very hard to achieve that with all
our contributors and developers actively working on problems, though the
difference between the Apple OS and the FreeBSD OS is that we are volunteers
and engineers at Apple get payed to work on these things and have a justified
business case to get this working. We dont have that, we mostly dont get payed
for the things we do, we dont mind that, but since that is the case we cannot
guarantee that everything will always work as people could/would expect.

IF there are problems in some region and you would like to get that resolved
consider funding an developer to make it happen.

Thanks for using FreeBSD and considering the discussion though!

--

/"\   Best regards,                      | remko at FreeBSD.org
\ /   Remko Lodder                       | remko at EFnet