docs/117798: formatting oddity in sysmouse(4)

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sun Nov 4 02:40:02 UTC 2007

The following reply was made to PR docs/117798; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk>
To: Maxim Konovalov <maxim at macomnet.ru>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: docs/117798: formatting oddity in sysmouse(4)
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 23:11:45 +0000

 In message <20071104012124.S24106 at mp2.macomnet.net>, Maxim Konovalov writes:
 >> 	man 4 sysmouse has a formatting oddity:
 >>
 >>                 MOUSE_MOTION_EVENT and MOUSE_BUTTON_EVENT are newer interface
 >>                 and are designed to be used together.  They are intended to
 >>                 replace functions performed by MOUSE_ACTION alone.
 >>
 >>      u          This union is one of
 >>
 >>                 data
 >>
 >>                       struct mouse_data {
 >>                           int x;
 >>

 >Why do you think so?  This section describes "union u" from struct
 >mouse_info.

 While it may be technically correctly formatted, it certainly looks
 confusing to the casual user.

 The the union had been more sensibly named, it would not be a problem,
 but for a single letter name like 'u', I'd propos quoting it, to make
 it clear that it is the actual and entire name.