The search box on www.freebsd.org..

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sun May 13 09:55:24 UTC 2007

On 2007.05.10 14:21:16 -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Thursday 10 May 2007 01:07:57 pm Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> > On 2007.05.10 11:46:56 -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> > > SUCKS/BLOWS CHUNKS/etc.
> > >
> > > Really, it's bad.  I just typed in 'logo' to find the page about logo
> usage,
> > > and it returned 0 results, not even http://www.freebsd.org/logo.html.
> That's
> > > exceedingly lame.  Its worse than having no search box at all because
> people
> > > will try to _use_ it and then get frustrated.  It should either be killed,
> or
> > > it should be replaced with something that actually _works_ (probably it
> > > should make use of Y!, Google, or Rambler.ru something to do the search).
> >
> > I think most people agree with that, the problem is that it takes some
> > time to get right and there currently aren't that many active doc
> > committers since they over time seem to gravitate towards src...
> >
> > doc are unfortunatly not as good as src, and even more ports, at
> > getting new people.
>
> Then perhaps we should at least turn it off for now until we can fix it?

I'm not really up to something like that unless there is strong
support for that... but

I had something else to do today, so to avoid doing that I got to play
around a bit with Y! Search :-).

This is just a proof-of-concept, which certainly needs to be tweaked
more etc, but it seems to work:

http://people.freebsd.org/~simon/search/

I know more elaborate solutions has been suggeted, but the advantage
of this setup is that it's rather simple to do.

Is this the way to go?

Note: I have to read over the terms a few more times to be sure you
are allowed to embed the search box like that into the site, but I
think it's OK from how I read it.

--
Simon L. Nielsen