The vinium doc. - my suggestions

Orest Onuszko orest at c-map.pl
Sat May 12 09:03:16 UTC 2007

Hello!

I have been configuring Vinum on FreeBSD 6.2 stable following this doc:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/vinum-vinum.html#VINUM-SYNOPSIS
It has not been so hard as people say but I've wasted quite a bit of my time
because of lack of some important informations in the handbook. To improve
your doc I would suggest you to do some tweaking by adding what I included
below.

- To create root partition illusion i had to add driveoffset parameter in my
vinum conf. Without it I couldn't use filesystem created
under /dev/gvinum/myroot for booting because the filesystem had been seen as
corrupted one.

- In object naming section should be provided a note reffering to slices, in
particular:
"If you use slices then a vinum's config file should be reffering to ad0s1 not
ad0"

- I've had some problems with mounting vinum volume during the booting.
May  9 14:52:28 cel433 kernel: GEOM_VINUM: subdisk nsm.p0.s1 state change:
down
-> stale
May  9 14:52:28 cel433 kernel: GEOM_VINUM: subdisk nsm.p0.s0 state change:
down
-> stale
May  9 14:52:37 cel433 kernel: g_vfs_done():gvinum/nsm[READ(offset=65536,
length
=8192)]error = 6
May  9 14:42:56 cel433 kernel: g_vfs_done():gvinum/nsm[READ(offset=65536,
length
=8192)]error = 6

After some googling I've found that for newly created volumes I should type
"vinum create volumename". It has worked out for me but prior to this command
I had to reboot.

If those informations were included in the handbook It would be much easier
for me to configure vinum.  It's better to have all basic informations in one
place instead of be forced to googling for them.
I hope this will help you out to create more complex documentation. :)

Best regards!

--
Orest Onuszko

IT Administrator

Light Marine Division

Jeppesen Marine
A Boeing Company

ph: +48 58 341 61 81 | fax: +48 58 341 61 48

mob: +48 502 196 695| mailto:  <mailto:oonuszko at c-map.pl>
oonuszko at c-map.pl

C-MAP Poland Sp. z o.o. | ul. Narutowicza 11/12 | 80-952 Gdansk | POLAND

Sad Rejonowy Gdansk-Polnoc  w Gdansku | VII Wydzial Gospodarczy KRS

Nr KRS 0000159285 | NIP 584-09-02-894 | Wysokosc kapitalu zakladowego:
50.000,00 zl.

 <http://www.c-map.pl/> www.c-map.pl