kern/110376: add some more explanations for the iwi/ipw firmware inclusion

Szilveszter Adam sziszi at bsd.hu
Fri Mar 16 10:10:09 UTC 2007

The following reply was made to PR docs/110376; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Szilveszter Adam <sziszi at bsd.hu>
To: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: kern/110376: add some more explanations for the iwi/ipw
	firmware inclusion
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:21:21 +0100

 Hello,

 On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 10:09:18AM +0300, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
 > Also, manual pages iwi(4) and ipw(4) are specifying that the
 > license kenv tunable is license.intel_<name>.license_ack. Reading
 > the /sys/tools/fw_stub.awk I had a strong feeling that the right
 > name is license.<name>.license_ack as noted in the original commit
 > message and in the UPDATING.

 Well, I also had this feeling at first (especially since I tend to trust
 UPDATING in these matters) but it is not so. I know this because I have
 tried the variant you suggested first and found out fairly quickly that
 the firmware did not load. :-) This was on iwi, btw, but I do not think
 this matters. With the variant in the man page, it works 1A. I specify
 the var in /boot/loader.conf. And the var name starts with "legal" not
 "license" in both cases.

 Your first point about required kernel modules stands however :-)

 --
 Regards:

 Szilveszter ADAM
 Budapest