docs/113296: Where is lagg(4) man page?

Daniel Gerzo danger at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 20 16:40:09 UTC 2007

The following reply was made to PR docs/113296; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Daniel Gerzo <danger at FreeBSD.org>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, goffredo at gmail.com
Cc: "Daniel Gerzo" <danger at freebsd.org>
Subject: Re: docs/113296: Where is lagg(4) man page?
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 18:35:20 +0200

 Hello Joao,

 Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 2:06:40 AM, you wrote:

 Joao, I will try to answer your questions:

 > Now I made:

 > "
 > root:piccola[107] cvsup -g /root/stable-supfile
 > Connected to cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
 > Updating collection src-all/cvs
 >  Edit src/sys/modules/cxgb/Makefile
 >  Edit src/sys/sys/syscallsubr.h
 >  Edit src/sys/sys/systm.h
 > Finished successfully
 > root:piccola[108] find . -name 'lagg*' -print
 > ./share/man/man4/lagg.4
 > "

 Ok, seems like you will have the lagg.4 man page available after you
 will build and install your new RELNEG_6 system.

 > I will compile and install the system.

 > But my system isn't very much outdated:

 > "
 > root:piccola[109] uname -a
 > FreeBSD piccola.paratyinfo.com.br 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #4:
 > Sun Jun  3 00:47:36 BRT 2007
 > goffredo at piccola.paratyinfo.com.br:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/PICCOLA
 > i386
 > "

 That's interesting, since the man page was merged back to RELENG_6 by
 this commit:
 Thu May 17 01:45:14 2007 UTC (4 weeks, 6 days ago) by thompsa

 you can check yourself the history of this man page at:
 http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/share/man/man4/lagg.4

 Maybe you have been updating your src tree from some mirror, which was
 out of sync by that time. Important thing is, that you have the man
 page now in the source tree, so if you do not have NO_MAN in your
 make.conf, it should be installed this time properly.

 > And the lagg(4) man page isn't in 6.2-stable:

 > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Dlagg&apropos=3D0&sektion=3D0&m=
 anpath=3DFreeBSD+6.2-stable&format=3Dhtml

 Ok, this is pretty common problem of the man.cgi, since the manual
 pages that are on-line are not synchronized with the current states of
 the branches all the time.

 > But I found in 7.0-current:

 > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Dlagg&apropos=3D0&sektion=3D0&m=
 anpath=3DFreeBSD+7-current&format=3Dhtml

 This is correct.

 > "
 > HISTORY
 >      The lagg device first appeared in FreeBSD 7.0.

 > So, why it should appear in 6.2 stable, and the man page says 7.0? My
 > sugestion to man page is 6.3 and 7.0.

 This is fine, since the lagg(4) driver first appeared in FreeBSD 7.0
 (or even more correctly, it _will_ first appear in the FreeBSD 7.0, as
 the FreeBSD 6.3 will be released after 7.0-RELEASE.

 > FreeBSD 4.11                    April 17, 2007                    FreeBSD=
  4.11
 > And why FreeBSD 4.11 when I ask 7.0?

 This line is correct as well, because the cgi script is running on
 FreeBSD 4.11 system.

 > Thanks,
 > Jo=E3o Rocha.

 I hope that my answers helped to you. Please let me know if the man
 page installed on your system successfuly.

 --=20
 Best regards,
  Daniel Gerzo                           mailto:danger at FreeBSD.org