docs/113570: dumpon(8), sysctl(8) refer to defunct variable "dumpdev"

Sam Lawrance boris at brooknet.com.au
Tue Jun 12 14:30:15 UTC 2007

The following reply was made to PR docs/113570; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Sam Lawrance <boris at brooknet.com.au>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/113570: dumpon(8), sysctl(8) refer to defunct variable "dumpdev"
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 22:45:53 +1000

 A copy for the PR...

 On 11/06/2007, at 9:47 PM, Remko Lodder wrote:

 >> The dumpon and sysctl man pages refer to the loader variable
 >> "dumpdev" and
 >> sysctl "kern.dumpdev" as a method of setting the dump device
 >> before boot.
 >>
 >> It seems that this method is no longer available.
 >>

 > Hi Sam,
 >
 > It seems that the only reference to dumpdev is indeed in rc.conf
 > but you were reporting this about the boot/loader.conf right?
 > (Just want to be sure).

 Sorry, I mucked up.  I was referring to this in dumpon.8:

       Since dumpon cannot be used during kernel initialization, the
 dumpdev
       variable of loader(8) must be used to enable dumps for system
 panics
       which occur during kernel initialization.

 But it has already been removed (I didn't check the most current man
 pages).  In sysctl.8, I think these mentions should still be removed:

       kern.dumpdev			      dev_t	    yes

       The device used for crash dumps can be specified using:

             sysctl kern.dumpdev=/dev/somedev

       which is equivalent to

             dumpon /dev/somedev