docs/113274: Handbook needs file execution troubleshooting section

Remko Lodder remko at elvandar.org
Sun Jun 3 08:40:10 UTC 2007

The following reply was made to PR docs/113274; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Remko Lodder <remko at elvandar.org>
To: Mark Stevans <mls at piqqem.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/113274: Handbook needs file execution troubleshooting section
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 10:39:28 +0200

 Mark Stevans wrote:
 > FreeBSD redpen.piqqem.lan 6.1-SECURITY FreeBSD 6.1-SECURITY #0: Thu Apr 26 14:39:24 UTC 2007     root at builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP  i386
 > One of the most frustrating experiences in the UNIX world is to have a file (often a script) that you just cannot get to execute, especially in a high-pressure scenario.  There is a long list of reasons why a FreeBSD file cannot be executed, e.g. no magic number, file system mounted NOEXEC, no execute permission, no read permission, interpreter cannot be found, etc., etc..  For the benefit of users everywhere, this list needs to be carefully constructed and included in a future FreeBSD Handbook "File Exe cution Troubleshooting" section.
 >> How-To-Repeat:
 > Try to execute a file you have execute permission for, but no read permission on the associated script interpreter, for example, without being a FreeBSD/UNIX guru, and watch how long it takes you to stumble upon the solution, often hours or days.
 >> Fix:
 > Break down all the cases for failure to execute a program/script, and list them clearly and completely.

 Hello,

 This -might- be an idea, but on the other end we cannot possibly
 list ever reason for whatever stuff goes wrong within a FreeBSD
 system.

 That said; it would be more interesting if someone submits patches
 for this, please feel free to do so.

 (Also note that a serious severity and medium priority will not
 make this PR get resolved quicker, IF we at all used these fields
 it would be a minor severity and low priority (in my eyes))

 Thanks for using FreeBSD And the willingness to improve FreeBSD!

 Regards,
 Remko

 --
 Kind regards,

      Remko Lodder               ** remko at elvandar.org
      FreeBSD                    ** remko at FreeBSD.org

      /* Quis custodiet ipsos custodes */