cvs commit: doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports/chapter.sgml

Peter N. M. Hansteen peter at bsdly.net
Tue Jul 24 17:46:59 UTC 2007

Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> writes:

> management tools in the handbook is a bad idea. I think the problem is
> where do we draw the line. You mentioned two issues, how to install
> ports (which I don't think there is any dispute about) and how to
> maintain them. If your idea of describing "how to maintain them" means
> detailed descriptions of the operations of "how to maintain them" with
> each of the tools available, then we disagree. I don't think that
> scales, and I think it bloats the handbook with a lot of repetitive
> information.

I realize I probably sounded more than a little alarmist on this bit,
and I apologize.  It's been a while since I took a serious look at the
non-firewalls parts of the handbook, but if a brush-up of the ports
sections is needed, to me it sounds like we are not really that far
apart.  In fact it sounds like an interesting writing project which I
might take a stab at once I'm done with the one I'm doing now.  The
time frame would be some time after Copenhagen (EuroBSDCon).

> When I say "how to maintain them" I think we should describe in
> general terms that there are various tools that can be used to do this
> job, here is a little information about them, and here is where you
> can find more detailed information.

Yes, we're basically agreed here.  Sorry for the noise.  I'll be back
whif I have something tangible to contribute.

All the best,