cvs commit: doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports/chapter.sgml

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 24 13:01:46 UTC 2007

[Moved entirely to doc since his is certainly a general discussion
now]

On 2007.07.24 14:32:00 +0200, Marc Fonvieille wrote:

> I also agree but Giorgos and Mark's ideas are interesting.
> Adding, removing, upgrading applications is one of the most important
> managing task for the normal user.  I would even add this task is maybe
> the only one a normal user will use to perform on a frequent basis, once
> the system has been installed.  So, it's difficult to imagine the
> Handbook without a chapter about these operations.

Indeed.

> But this normal user
> doesn't need to become a ports system expert, he just need to know
> simple/general methods to install, remove and upgrade his applications.
> The specific/expert methods (and tools?) should be the subject of
> specific articles or parts of the Porters Handbook.

I think at least one tool should be documented in the Handbook so the
common user will be able to get by just reading the Handbook.  I don't
have a problem at with more advanced stuff or other more uncommon
tools being moved out of the Handbook.

Note that the Porters Handbook is for port maintainers / developers /
committers so this information for users really doesn't belong there,
as Mark already has pointed out.

In any case, as usual, the person / people who decide to actually do
some cleanup in the area will get to decide what to do, and I doubt
that will be me.

--
Simon L. Nielsen