make buildkernel fails without complete source tree

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 22 19:28:21 UTC 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 22:09:58 +0300
Ruslan Ermilov <ru at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 02:01:38PM -0500, Ken Smith wrote:
> > True.  I guess this is sort of where I was headed.  IMHO we should
> > either leave it as-is for the traditionalists or we should bite the
> > bullet and stop providing a separate kernel source tree.  As John
> > pointed out in the message after this one life has moved on and
> > now /usr/src is teeny compared to the size of disks.  Is it worth the
> > hassle/confusion to provide just kernel source any more?
> >
> Thinking of embedded world, it still makes a lot of sense.
> I think adding a note to Handbook would be a good solution.

First, real men program in ABEL.  I've been waiting to say that.  :)

Second, would embedded environments really want the sources
on their device?  Or would it make more sense to do the work
on another machine?

--
Tom Rhodes