make buildkernel fails without complete source tree

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 21 21:58:42 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 01:48:14PM -0800, Murray Stokely wrote:
> On 1/18/07, John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >-      { " sys",                "/usr/src/sys (FreeBSD kernel)",
> >+      { " sys",                "/usr/src/sys (FreeBSD kernel; requires
> >'base'
> >to build)",
>
> I think this is a good solution.

I don't think this is a good idea as it's not actually required.
The sys/ part have traditionally been standalone.  And if you're
not upgrading then "buildkernel" is just a convenience alias for
config/make method.  Actually this method is always used except
that in the buildkernel case it will use an upgraded toolchain
if it was previously built by "buildworld".

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
ru at FreeBSD.org