RFC: The end of the contributors article

Joel Dahl joel at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 14 09:08:46 UTC 2007

Sön 2007-01-14 klockan 01:57 +0900 skrev Hiroki Sato:
> Joel Dahl <joel at freebsd.org> wrote
>   in <1168633900.1082.38.camel at jesus.automatvapen.se>:
>
> jo> Fre 2007-01-12 klockan 20:11 +0900 skrev Hiroki Sato:
> jo> >  It is good to make the contributors list up-to-date, but what is the
> jo> >  benefit to move it to the www tree?  And where is the source file?
> jo>
> jo> You'll get to see the source when I have something to show you.
>
>  Thanks.  I'll wait.
>
> jo> >  I think issue we have for the list is that this sort of information
> jo> >  is scattered in the doc/www tree and the scattered information is
> jo> >  difficult to maintain (remember a case of the mirror site list).  So
> jo> >  I think the direction we should go is to have a directory for the
> jo> >  developers, build a structure to pick up necessary information from
> jo> >  it, and leave the maintenance to each developer (like pgpkey).
> jo> >  Maintaining such a directory in an HTML page is not a good idea---if
> jo> >  we have active maintainers of the list it will work, but it will not
> jo> >  last long unfortunately.  Since I could not find the source file of
> jo> >  your proposed team.html I am not sure how this page was generated,
> jo> >  but if it was done by hand let's take account of the maintenance
> jo> >  issue first.
> jo>
> jo> I've been maintaining the contributors article for almost 1,5 year now,
> jo> in case you haven't noticed.  This won't change anytime soon.
>
>  Yes, I know.  I do not doubt if your activity would change.
>
>  The matter I am concerned about is simply moving the contributors
>  list to an HTML page would not help to reuse/centralize such
>  scattered information (for example, we have some duplicated
>  information in pgpkeys-*.sgml and the committers-guide, too).  To me,
>  your proposed change is to update the list (yes, this is great.
>  thanks a lot!) but there is no obvious reason to move all of the
>  related information in the source file to the www tree.
>
> jo> -  This information does not really belong in an article.
>
>  Could you elaborate this?  As mentioned in the previous mail, I think
>  this information should be in an independent database file, not
>  belong in either article or an HTML page in the www tree.

Yes, I remember you suggesting this XX months ago, and I *really* like
the concept of storing developer information (such as login id, pgpkey,
current hats, commit bit type, location etc) in a database, but the
truth is that I haven't seen any progress since then.  I consider my
work to be the best solution in the meantime.

--
Joel