Documentation newbie; SGML how-to?

Nathan Vidican nvidican at wmptl.com
Mon Jan 8 18:58:45 UTC 2007

Can someone point me to a good RTFM link?

I've written several tutorials in the past, and tutored quite a few
people over the years and would like to start contributing some of my
work back to the community who prompted it in the first-place. I've been
an active member of questions at freebsd.org for several years now, and
would like to think my contributions could help further answer a lot of
questions brought about on this list. Rather than continuing to do so on
my own, and in my own way... I figured why not join in and help out with
some 'real' documentation.

However, that being said - most of my documentation is in miss-managed
HTML or ASCII tutorials, spread out across webservers here and there for
various companies or clients I've worked for. I'd like very much to
adopt the same type of universal format used in the FreeBSD handbook,
and re-write these tutorials to be not only informative, but also
consistent in their documentation conventions and general appearance.

Herein lies the new challenge for me; what documentation tools are
everyone using to generate documents the likes of the FreeBSD FAQ and
Handbook? From what I understand it's SGML, (a new language to me - but
no fears there), but what authoring tools are out there; what's best to
use? What's easiest to get along with, and is there a collection or
package one can utilize for stylesheets, templates, etc? Are indexes and
HTML output generated by hand, or manually? etc...

So, long story short - where do I get started; any good tutorials,
tools, templates reccomended for SGML documentation? Something along the
lines of 'if one were to submit a section to the handbook, what
tools/format should one do so in?' Anything you can offer would be
greatly appreciated.

Thank-you

--
Nathan Vidican