RFC: Hardware notes rearrangement

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 7 21:37:41 UTC 2007

On 2006.12.30 11:23:58 -0800, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> About a month ago, I rearranged the hardware notes on CURRENT, in effect
> coalescing the multiple machine-dependent (MD) documents that got
> generated into a single machine-independent (MI) document.  Basically
> it's easier to read and maintain this way.
>
> I'd like some review on a similar reorg of the hardware notes (also on
> CURRENT).

Hmm, seems like nobody else took the bait as I had hoped, so I guess I
have to ;-).

[...]

> Also, as I'm reading through the hardware notes, there's a bunch of
> information (particular in the "supported processor and motherboards")
> section that could stand revising.  That's probably best taken care of
> after this.

Yes, one step at the time is probably best.

> Preliminary work is here:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/hardware2.tar.gz
> http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/hardware2.pdf

I like the idea in general, especially since there is so much overlap
between the different per arch hardware notes documents.

For the PDF version I'm not particularly happy with the visual output
of the [amd64,i386,sparc64] like lists, though I have no idea at the
moment how to do it better.

Actually, it seems like part of the problem is that the hardware notes
just looks odd in the PDF version.  I just built the HTML version and
that looks fine, so that shouldn't be a blocker.

Also, whatever format is used for the lists I think it should be
explained with a couple of words in the intro.

So to sum up: Go for it :-).

--
Simon L. Nielsen