Changes and Updates to Installation chapter

Niclas Zeising niclas.zeising at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 22:35:45 UTC 2007

Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 04:00:30PM +0100, Niclas Zeising wrote:
>> This is a list of changes that I think are needed in the Installation
>> Chapter of the Handbook. It is not a patch to the documentation or
>> anything, I want to discuss the changes before continuing working with
>> doing the actual changes.
>>
>> In short, it is mostly an update to bring the installation chapter up to
>> speed. New screenshots from sysinstall, changes to match the reality and
>> the current state of sysinstall, those kind of things.
>> Some of the bigger changes is removal of alpha-specific bits, or at
>> least add a note regarding the status of Alpha. Someone with
>> alpha-experience need to validate that the instructions for alpha still
>> is correct. Maybe we should add something about SPARC if there is big
>> difference from installing on an i386/amd64.
>> Further, it's removal of most of the X-related bits, pointing the user
>> to the X chapter instead, since X configuration is not part of the
>> installation procedure anymore. One note on this is that most Linux
>> distributions comes with X pretty much setup from default installation.
>>  I think we have to have clear and precise notes on how to set up X so
>> people not used to the command line can get their graphical interface.
>
> Hello,
>
> (Quick answer)
>
> You think about xorgcfg(1)?  It is possible to add the dozen of
> xorgcfg's screens but it will remain difficult for the newbie cause the
> same "weird" questions will be asked, but this time, via a graphical
> interface.  I mean using "Xorg -configure" or xorgcfg(1) is quite the
> same thing, we have no FreeBSD specific GUI to configure X11, so we
> cannot "compete" with the Installers you seen on some Linux distribution
> or some desktop oriented FreeBSD derivatives.

A dozen screens from xorgcfg(1) is not needed, neither is it what I was
looking for.  What I meant was that the instructions we have are quite
clear, at least to get a graphical user interface working. Maybe a
how-to somewhere or something. I haven't read the X chapter of the
handbook, maybe that's sufficient as it is, as long as it's current.  It
would be good to have something to point at.
I'm not saying we can or should "compete" with the desktop oriented
Linuces or PCBSD or the like, just that we need some instructions on how
to configure X.

>> The biggest change I suggest is removal of most of the bits regarding
>> networking, and putting them in some sort of "Simple networking" chapter
>> in the networking section instead.
>
> I think it's not possible and not a good thing to remove things that the
> user can or will meet/need during installation process (don't forget
> some people get installation files via Internet, etc.).
>
>> I think we only should have
>> instructions on how to get an internet connection up and working in the
>> workstation sense, i. e. how to be able to surf the net and so on.
>
> Well if the user's Internet connection setup is not done via DHCP you
> cannot easily describe a general way to set up the Internet access.
> If the connection uses DHCP, it's fine since this configuration can be
> done at installation time in the parts you want to remove.

Noted. You can also set up a static IP-address from sysinstall, but it
doesn't matter.

>> WWW/FTP-servers, NFS and so on doesn't belong in an installation chapter
>> in my opinion.
>
> By Installation chapter, the idea was covering everything that can be
> done during the installation process with our installer (currently
> sysinstall).  It's possible to configure everything (but X11) during the
> installation, which is very interesting for some users.

Ok.

>> I also had an idea of adding a chapter to the networking section which
>> talks about tcp/ip-networks in general, subnetting, routing and so on.
>> Is that too much of topic?
>>

> It's not what does the "27.2 Gateways and Routes" section and some other
> sections?

Maybe. The idea came from a short discussion when someone (ceri iirc)
updated the networking chapters to use CDIR-notation instead of
mentioning the old A/B/C-class networks.  I thought we maybe needed some
sort of explanation of CDIR and other network related stuff somewhere.
If there is such a place already, we can always expand that instead.

>> This is just suggestions. As said before I would like some input on this
>> before continuing to do the actual work. I have a more detailed list
>> about what's needed to be done, but since it's mostly small fixes I
>> realized the above summary better describes what has to be done. I can
>> type it down and post it if someone asks for it.
>>

> From my point of view, we need to update the current text and
> screenshots to match the current installation process (the current steps
> the user will meet during the installation).  The X11 part in the
> current Installation chapter can be reduced, in fact changed to match
> what is done during the use of sysinstall(8).  I don't think we need to
> remove things cause they may be "difficult" to understand by the user,
> we must keep post-installation steps.

I never intended to remove the "difficult" pieces of the installation
chapter.  The rationale behind moving most of the networking bits was to
have one place (the networking section) explain almost everything
regarding networking.  If most people want them to stay where they are,
they stay, with an update of course.

Regards!
//Niclas