Changes and Updates to Installation chapter

Niclas Zeising niclas.zeising at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 16:10:27 UTC 2007

This is a list of changes that I think are needed in the Installation
Chapter of the Handbook. It is not a patch to the documentation or
anything, I want to discuss the changes before continuing working with
doing the actual changes.

In short, it is mostly an update to bring the installation chapter up to
speed. New screenshots from sysinstall, changes to match the reality and
the current state of sysinstall, those kind of things.
Some of the bigger changes is removal of alpha-specific bits, or at
least add a note regarding the status of Alpha. Someone with
alpha-experience need to validate that the instructions for alpha still
is correct. Maybe we should add something about SPARC if there is big
difference from installing on an i386/amd64.
Further, it's removal of most of the X-related bits, pointing the user
to the X chapter instead, since X configuration is not part of the
installation procedure anymore. One note on this is that most Linux
distributions comes with X pretty much setup from default installation.
  I think we have to have clear and precise notes on how to set up X so
people not used to the command line can get their graphical interface.
The biggest change I suggest is removal of most of the bits regarding
networking, and putting them in some sort of "Simple networking" chapter
in the networking section instead.  I think we only should have
instructions on how to get an internet connection up and working in the
workstation sense, i. e. how to be able to surf the net and so on.
WWW/FTP-servers, NFS and so on doesn't belong in an installation chapter
in my opinion.
I also had an idea of adding a chapter to the networking section which
talks about tcp/ip-networks in general, subnetting, routing and so on.
Is that too much of topic?

This is just suggestions. As said before I would like some input on this
before continuing to do the actual work. I have a more detailed list
about what's needed to be done, but since it's mostly small fixes I
realized the above summary better describes what has to be done. I can
type it down and post it if someone asks for it.

Regards!
//Niclas