docs/107432: Handbook's default partitioning schema is out-of-date

Gergely CZUCZY phoemix at harmless.hu
Tue Jan 2 15:20:17 UTC 2007

>Number:         107432
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Handbook's default partitioning schema is out-of-date
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD marvin.harmless.hu 6.1-RELEASE-p10 FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p10 #5: Sun Nov 19 10:39:45 CET 2006 root at marvin.harmless.hu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MARVIN i386

It was reported by a user who has just installed 6.2-RC2

	The handbook's default partitioning scheme looks like this:
	a 100MB /
	b 2-3x RAM swap
	d 50MB /var
	e rest /usr

	now, the user installed his comupter like this, and he
	asked that why was he out-of-space when he installed some
	packages. i checked my desktop's /var. usage, and it was 56MB
	so, things might had been changed since then.

>How-To-Repeat:
	See description.

>Fix:
	i suggest the following partitioning scheme for
	newbies in the handbook:

	a 500MB /
	b 500MB-2G swap (depending on the ammount of RAM)
	d rest /usr

	having a separate /var for first installers is not
	so important. for later on usage it could be suggested
	to use more partitions, and the different tree points
	were explained along with why they might need a separate
	partition.

	like:
	/	500MB, rootfs
	swap	depending on the amount of RAM
	/usr	as big as possible, user applications were take
		place here, along with ports and system sources
	/tmp	separation might be needed to not let temporary large
		files to disturb the system. also think of /var/tmp
	/var	~100MB with respect to /var/log, /var/db
	/var/log it's a good idea to sperate this, thus some logs
		might fill the disk which can disturb other daemons
		using /var
	/usr/home or /home, user account data
	/usr/local	3rdparty packages, to separate them from
		the base system

	... so on.
	so, i suggest a general newbie-partition-schema and a detailed
	explanation for advanced/production/non-desktop usage