docs/115571: Use mount -t msdosfs instead of mount_msdosfs in thehandbook

Lars Engels lme at FreeBSD.org
Sat Aug 18 10:30:06 UTC 2007

The following reply was made to PR docs/115571; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Lars Engels <lme at FreeBSD.org>
To: Daniel =?iso-8859-15?Q?Ger=B8o?= <danger at FreeBSD.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org, doc at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/115571: Use mount -t msdosfs instead of mount_msdosfs in thehandbook
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 12:24:54 +0200

 --CYcXvPfqKSDi0QhV

 On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 02:20:59PM +0200, Daniel Ger=B8o wrote:
 >=20
 > Hello Lars,
 >=20
 > On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:04:57 GMT, Lars Engels <lme at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
 > >=20
 > >>Number:         115571
 > >>Category:       docs
 > >>Synopsis:       Use mount -t msdosfs instead of mount_msdosfs in the
 >=20
 > > On
 > >
 > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-trouble=
 =2Ehtml
 > > could you please change mount_msdosfs to mount -t msdosfs?
 > > The former should no longe be executed manually.
 >=20
 > May I ask you why do you suspect that mount_msdosfs should
 > not be user any more?
 >=20

 Hi Daniel,

 please compare the number of mount_* binaries in a 6.x and a CURRENT
 System.=20

 <FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT> [maggie:/sbin]
 lars at ttyp6 > ls mount_* | wc -l
        9

 <FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE> [NB011798:/sbin]
 lars at ttyp2 > ls mount_* | wc -l
       18

 In src/sbin/mount/mount.c you find the following:

 /* XXX: We need to get away from implementing external mount
  *      programs for every filesystem, and move towards having
  *      each filesystem properly implement the nmount() system call.
  */

 And there are several mails on mailinglists on that topic. E.g.:
 http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-May/072783.html

 So advocating mount -t in the handbook is more future-proof. :-)

 Best regards,

 Lars

 --CYcXvPfqKSDi0QhV

 --CYcXvPfqKSDi0QhV--