RFC: Removing installation notes from release documentation

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Sat Aug 4 16:47:20 UTC 2007

Howdy--

I'm thinking of removing the installation notes (i.e. INSTALL.TXT) from
the release documentation set.  They're not well-maintained, are poorly
written (for which I take some responsibility), and they do a meager job
of trying to duplicate information that is contained in Chapter 2 of the
FreeBSD Handbook ("Installing FreeBSD").

The installation notes were originally intended to be a lightweight
quickstart guide that users could read before actually having installed
FreeBSD on their system.  There are now several ways to get this
information...in particular the Handbook is available on the FreeBSD Web
site, and starting with FreeBSD 7.0 a complete documentation set is
produced as one of the ISO images in the release build process.

So I'd like to eliminate the installation notes.  I'd do a pass through
this document and try to pull any outstanding useful content into the
Handbook.  I've run this past other re@ folks and gotten no objections,
and a couple of other doc@ committers working in this area have given
the idea a general thumbs-up.

Any comments?