docs/109667: [patch] MSG_PEEK listed on send(2) but not applicable

Peter Pentchev roam at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 26 14:40:56 UTC 2007

Synopsis: [patch] MSG_PEEK listed on send(2) but not applicable

Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-doc->wollman
Responsible-Changed-By: roam
Responsible-Changed-When: Thu Apr 26 14:33:17 UTC 2007
Responsible-Changed-Why:

The MSG_PEEK flag was added to the send(2) manual page by Garrett
Wollman in rev. 1.2, so I think he ought to be the one to decide whether
the flag should be removed - albeit it might be just a tad difficult
to recall the original reasoning back from 1995 :)

Garrett, the way I see it, the MSG_PEEK flag was either:
- added because it was related to T/TCP, and thus ought to have been
  removed from the send(2) manual page by Joel Dahl's rev. 1.33;
- added because it was in the list of flags copied over from
  the <sys/socket.h> file, and thus ought to be removed, since it is
  not really relevant to the send(2) syscall :)
- added for some other reasons that I cannot think of right now, but that
  still make it necessary for that flag to be in the send(2) manual page :)