docs/111427: Missing chunks of text in historical manpages

Jerry Peek jpeek at jpeek.com
Mon Apr 9 20:00:11 UTC 2007

>Number:         111427
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Missing chunks of text in historical manpages
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I've used the historical manpages -- especially 7th Edition and 4.3 Reno -- for years, thanks.  Today I'm reading the 4.3 Reno page diff3(1), from http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=diff3&apropos=0&sektion=1&manpath=4.3BSD+Reno&format=html .  It has a problem I've seen in some other pages (but not reported before): some small bits of text are missing.

For instance, the second paragraph of DESCRIPTION begins like this:

Options are: Produces output in a form suitable as an input script for the ed(1) utility.

Which option does that describe?  It doesn't say.  Another example is in the FILES section:

FILES
     temporary files.  the executable.

I think that section should include /tmp/XXX and /usr/bin/diff3, or something.
>How-To-Repeat:
Open the manual page I mentioned in Firefox 2.0.0.3, or probably in other browsers too.
>Fix:
I'm guessing that there's a macro call which isn't being read or handled by the man-to-html converter.  For instance, the missing -e option might have been coded as:

.XX -e