docs/103347: Incorrect file summary in devfs(8)

Daniel Gerzo danger at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 18 11:54:59 UTC 2006

The following reply was made to PR docs/103347; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Daniel Gerzo <danger at FreeBSD.org>
To: Evan Clarke <evan at proc.to>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/103347: Incorrect file summary in devfs(8)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:48:14 +0200

 Hello Evan,

 Monday, September 18, 2006, 10:23:58 AM, you wrote:

 > The "Files" section of the devfs(8) man page states that
 > /etc/defaults/devfs.rules
 > /etc/devfs.rules
 > are both the files that devfs uses.

 > Should /etc/devfs.rules be /etc/devfs.conf?  devfs.rules does not
 > exist on system and /etc/rc.d/devfs references /etc/devfs.conf

 The /etc/devfs.rules doesn't have to exist on your system unless you
 want to override the default values set in /etc/defaults/devfs.rules.
 This is the same way the rc.conf work. Note, that the devfs.rules and
 devfs.conf are different files with completely different purposes. We
 certainly need to clarify this in the devfs(8) manual page (as a start
 it should be good to xref devfs.rules(5) and devfs.conf(5) manual
 pages in SEE ALSO at least). I will try to look at this further later.

 --
 Best regards,
  Daniel                            mailto:danger at FreeBSD.org