Which charset? [ Was: [Gábor's Blog] Comment: "Charset issues"]

Gábor Kövesdán gabor at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 1 16:53:06 UTC 2006

Ollivier Robert wrote:
> I think you should just go back to UTF-8, it is much more easier to insert special characters, especially outside of the rather limited ISO-8859-X range.  Tidy does support UTF-8 and if you tell it not to mess with entities, characters should be fine.
>
> Cheers,
> Ollivier

Hi,

thanks for the suggestion. Actually, I tried it with tidy's utf-8
command line option but I got question marks instead of the á
é etc. entities. I can't use tidy at all, no matter which one I
choose. Do you think utf-8 has still advantages even if I can use each
necessary character with iso-8859-2? If it's reasonable I will use utf-8
but  I CC'd the related lists for further discussion.

For those, who don't know what is it about, please read this:
http://bsdblogs.droso.org/gabor/2006/08/31/charset-issues/

Actually, I only need a few special characters:
o with double acute
u with double acute
And the capitalized forms of them.

--