New article

Yar Tikhiy yar at comp.chem.msu.su
Fri Oct 27 10:42:34 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 12:11:26PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:

> >>4. In note 4 (and elsewhere) you refer to "methods" for rc.subr to
> >>invoke. I'm not very comfortable with this term, and it sounds too C++
> >>to me. I would prefer the use of the term "function" which is both
> >>literally true and closer to how sh scripting is usually described.
> >>I'm not insisting that you change it, just stating a strong preference.
> >
> >I belive that the term "method" was adopted by the NetBSD folks.
>
> Ewww, ick! :)  I looked in Luke's original paper and didn't find it,
> but if that's the convention, so be it.

BTW, it appears to be Luke who committed the initial version of the
rc.subr manpage to NetBSD, and "method" was already there.  Frankly,
it is a bit harsh to my ear, too, but now we have to live with it.
Anyway it's better than having a babel of numerous terms for the same
little thing. :-)

> >>5. In Section 4, note 4 you might want to expand your "Note:"
> >>regarding prefixing the variables with ${name}. You might also want to
> >
> >Oops, failed to see how the ${name} issue applies to section 4,
> >note 4.  Could you provide an example?
>
> It's the issue I describe below. Prefixing global (e.g., rc.conf)
> variables with the value of $name is not just a good idea, it's
> mandatory.

Fixed, thanks.

--
Yar