New article

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 23 12:56:00 UTC 2006

On 2006-10-23 15:56, Yar Tikhiy <yar at comp.chem.msu.su> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 01:56:53AM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > On 2006-10-15 21:35, Yar Tikhiy <yar at comp.chem.msu.su> wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > I wrote an article on our rc.d subsystem.  Its draft in sgml and
> > > html is available at http://people.freebsd.org/~yar/rcng/ .  It has
> > > been reviewed on freebsd-rc.  Now I'd like to add it to our article
> > > collection.  I see that I should commit the article itself, then
> > > update www/docs/books.sgml.  What else?
> > >
> > > P.S. Please feel free to review my article WRT its markup.  Thanks!
> >
> > Hi Yar,
> >
> > First of all, *THANKS*!
> >
> > This is a great article, and I really enjoyed reading it.  One of my
> > latest commits to doc/ was, in fact, inspired by this article:
>
> I'm much pleased to hear that my humble work was useful to you!
>
> > Having said that, as I was going through the article, I noticed a few
> > places where I would probably word things in a slightly different way.
> > I am not sure if all my changes are ok, but the attached patch shows all
> > the changes I have made locally.
>
> Thank you for the patch!  Although I didn't apply all its parts
> verbatim, the patch showed me quite a number of rough corners still
> in my article.  I did my best to polish them.
>
> The revised version is ready at http://people.freebsd.org/~yar/rcng/ .

Nice.  Let's not waste too much time in nit-picking then.  Please go
ahead, and commit it when you are ready :)

> > This is still a work-in-progress, as I am going a second time through
> > the article, looking for things which I would write in a different way,
> > or for things which seem cool to add.  I'm not done, yet, but here is a
> > first patch version, so we can work in parallel ;)
>
> Your help is much appreciated!
>
> > If you like any of the changes, feel free to import them in your own
> > copy of the article.  Please, also let em know if you need help while
> > committing this to doc/.
>
> I can commit to doc by myself, and I'd like to, but would you mind
> telling me what I should do apart from committing the article itself,
> connecting it to the build via ../Makefile, and adding a reference
> to the Books & Articles Online webpage?

AFAIK, in general, the process of adding a new article is:

    1. Commit the article under doc/en_US.ISO8859-7/articles/rcng/*

    2. Add a SUBDIR entry to doc/en_US.ISO8859-7/articles/Makefile

    3. Add a reference to the new article to www/en/docs/books.sgml

> By the way, what short title would you suggest for the article?  Does
> "rc-scripting" look good?

"The System Startup Scripts of FreeBSD" seems short to me.  I'm not sure
what you mean by "short title" though.