http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-nfs.html

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at freebsd.org
Wed Oct 18 20:51:20 UTC 2006

On 2006-10-11 01:02, Volodymyr Kostyrko <arcade at synergetica.dn.ua> wrote:
> I have a noticed an inconsistance in this section:
>
> [code]
> The mountd daemon must be forced to recheck the /etc/exports file
> whenever it has been modified, so the changes can take effect. This can
> be accomplished either by sending a HUP signal to the running daemon:
>
> # kill -HUP `cat /var/run/mountd.pid`
>
> or by invoking the mountd rc(8) script with the appropriate parameter:
>
> # /etc/rc.d/mountd reload
>
> Please refer to Section 11.7 for more information about using rc scripts.
> [/code]
>
> The command "/etc/rc.d/mountd reload" doesn't work neither says nothing.
> Yet "/etc/rc.d/mountd forcereload" works and says: "Reloading mountd
> config files."
>
> Section 11.7 states that 'force' is needed when rc script is not enabled
> in /etc/rc.conf. There is no place in this document which recommends
> turning mountd on. Instead we have:
>
> [code]
> On the NFS server, make sure that the following options are configured
> in the /etc/rc.conf file:
>
> rpcbind_enable="YES"
> nfs_server_enable="YES"
> mountd_flags="-r"
>
> mountd runs automatically whenever the NFS server is enabled.
> [/code]
>
> Both this places can't be correct at once.

I have committed a change to the `reload' argument of `mountd',
to use `onereload' instead of `forcereload' (the second is much
more aggressive, and should be avoided if possible).  Revision
1.94 was committed with the following text as its commit log:

    revision 1.94
    date: 2006/10/18 20:47:50;  author: keramida;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -1
    Suggest using `/etc/rc.d/mountd onereload' instead of `reload',
    to make sure that `mountd' is (re)loaded even if it's not yet
    enabled in `/etc/rc.conf'.

    Ideally, `mountd' should already be enabled in `rc.conf', but if
    `mountd_enable' is not set to "YES" in `rc.conf', then running
    the rc.d script with a plain `reload' argument does nothing.
    Using `onereload' (with the rc.d-specific `one' prefix) makes
    sure that `mountd' is temporarily enabled for the run of this
    rc.d script and it does indeed reload its config files.

    Suggested by:   Volodymyr Kostyrko <arcade at synergetica.dn.ua>
    Mailing List:   freebsd-doc

Now the text will read:

    or by invoking the mountd rc(8) script with the appropriate
    parameter:

        # /etc/rc.d/mountd onereload

which should work as expected.

Many thanks for taking the time to report this *and* suggest a
candidate fix.  Any other help you can give in improving our
documentation would be much appreciated :)

Regards,
Giorgos