Fwd: Re: RFA: link http://docs.freebsd.org/doc/ in docs

Remko Lodder remko at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 17 22:37:19 UTC 2006

Daniel Gerzo wrote:
> Hello Simon,
>
> Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 10:54:07 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Do you have an example of how this looks in the built HTML?
>
> For example: http://cvsup.sk.freebsd.org/~danger/kernelbuild.html
>
>> My initial reaction is that while I think we should improve info on
>> where to find old docs, most users don't need them, so adding this to
>> alle pages might be a bit overkill...
>
> Well, while this is your own opinion, other users may disagree here ;)
> Let's wait for reactions of other people...
>
>> Hmm, and now I see that we actually already have a link at
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ to the old docs...
>
> I know about that one :) But I agree with Tom Ken that our users don't
> usually read the Handbook introduction when seeking for some
> information. (We discussed it on #bsddocs last night.)

OK after reading this all, I primarily think that ONE link at the start
of the handbook would be sufficient, if people do not want to read that
or don't care, well they should not blame us, we cannot cope with that
with our current active committerbase.

Perhaps we can also link it on the webpages, 'freebsd handbook' 'older
freebsd documentation'(or something) so that people would be able to
find it from the webpage.. apart from that, i would refrain from adding
any new or massive links (the revisions part of my previous email still
stands though ;))

cheers,
remko

--
Kind regards,

      Remko Lodder               ** remko at elvandar.org
      FreeBSD                    ** remko at FreeBSD.org

      /* Quis custodiet ipsos custodes */